Liquid Lullaby Sleep Tonic
I suffer from insomnia- I have since as long as I can remember.
Many a night I will be awake until 4:00 am, 5:00 am, 6:00 am, sometimes even 7:00 am. It’s maddening. And so that I don’t waste my entire day, I force myself to get up after only about 5 hours of fitful sleep which just compounds my fatigue and sleepiness, making it beyond difficult to fall asleep the following evening. It’s a vicious cycle.
I’ve been on Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy going on 18 months and it has helped to a large degree, but if I don’t have enough to keep me busy during the week, I find myself laying awake at night mentally shooting the sheep that are failing at helping me fall asleep. The insomnia, DSPD and hormone issues had me searching the interwebs for something wholesome and real food based that I could eat or drink before bed on a regular basis. Enter ‘Nighttime Sleep Tonics’.
You are going to love Liquid Lullaby. It is creamy, rich, soothing and comforting. It’s like a hug in a mug. The maple syrup and molasses give this drink a slight caramel-like flavor. The spices add warmth and complexity. It’s like drinking liquid contentedness.
It’s hard to stop at just one mug because it’s SO good!! The Stud Muffin said that he knew it probably wasn’t supposed to taste good because it was healthy and good for him, but it did. He was a little irked with himself for liking it so much. Then I told him what was in it, and that it WAS supposed to taste good. Silly Stud Muffin! Even my grand kids love this! UPDATE- I have one reader who said her whole family clonked out like “stoners” after drinking this before bed! So if you want to sleep like a stoner, this is the drink for you! How’s that for a festive endorsement of Liquid Lullaby? That made me laugh- I love comments like that!
I love turning to you Food Hippies on Facebook to ask for help on what to name recipes. Sometimes I just get stuck and can’t come up with anything creative. Originally I was just going to call it a Yawn Tonic–but decided to get your thoughts on the subject and you guys came up with some really fantastic ideas! After writing down all the suggestions you guys shared, I showed them to The Stud Muffin while we enjoyed a mug of this sleep tonic. We both agreed that Liquid Lullaby was our favorite, with No Motion Potion, a very close second.
Below are just a few of the many benefits of each ingredient in the Liquid Lullaby Sleep Tonic. There were almost too many to list and narrowing it down to a handful a piece was difficult. There are other great spices you could add to this if you’re in the mood to play around with the flavor a bit. I think I’m going to try some tumeric in my next batch or maybe some organic Almond Extract, which contains many vitamins, minerals and protein.
Benefits of the Ingredients in Liquid Lullaby
- Raw Milk- Contains the perfect balance of macro-nutrients: carbohydrates, fats and protein as well as 8 essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals that come naturally–not synthetically like pasteurized milk.
- Raw Whole Cream- Contains beneficial bacteria and enzymes. These enzymes aid in digestion of macronutrients while the beneficial bacteria promotes intestinal health and a well-functioning immune system, not to mention all the vitamins and minerals, like calcium, which promote sleep among other things.
- Coconut Milk- Very high in magnesium, which is known to calm nerves, and maintain healthy blood pressure. It can help fight infections, and maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
- Sea Salt/Mineral Salt– Aids in digestion, promotes sleep, cures acne, and is rich in vital minerals such as calcium, magnesium, sulfur and potassium.
- Pure Maple Syrup- Contains antioxidants and boosts your immune system, is a good source of zinc helps lower LDL cholesterol and is a wonderful from nature sweetener.
- Coconut Oil-Increases your metabolism, has antiseptic qualities and is a natural appetite suppressant.
- Vanilla- Reduces stress and anxiety, aids in weight loss, heals wounds and regulates female hormones
- Cinnamon- Reduces pain, regulates blood sugar and contains fiber, calcium, iron, and manganese
- Nutmeg- Helps eliminate fatigue and stress, it is a natural sedative, detoxes the liver and kidneys and reduces inflammation in the body.
- Blackstrap Molasses- A superfood that contains many important minerals and nutrients such as manganese, copper, iron and calcium and potassium. It is also offers protection from cancer, provides antioxidant protection, is good for proper bone, heart and colon health as well as is a good source of iron.
- Grass-fed collagen hydrolysate gelatin-Gelatin contains half of the 18 essential amino acids necessary for survival. Among other amazing benefits it is also known to improve quality of sleep.
Interested in getting the gelatin I used in this recipe? Click on the picture below.
- 4 cups grass-fed raw milk (non-homogenized organic cream top milk would work, too)
- 1/4 cup organic grass-fed cream
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk (not light)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (NOT Mrs. Butterworth folks)
- 3 TB organic blackstrap molasses (or regular organic molasses)
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 tsp. coconut oil (organic)
- 5 TB grass-fed collagen hydrolysate gelatin**
- Rounded 1/4 tsp. Real Sea Salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (I freshly grated mine) Use more if desired
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Put all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and stir to combine. Heat over medium-low heat until milk is warmed.
- If you prefer your milk on the hot side, you may continue warming the milk until tiny bubbles form around the inside of the pan. This is known as scalding the milk. Make sure you remove the milk from the pan immediately upon seeing those bubbles appear.
- Pour into a heatproof glass container that can be sealed. This will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Shake well before warming subsequent mugs of this tonic.
- Feel free to experiment with flavors. Try adding a pinch of clove or allspice. Maybe some tumeric or almond extract. The possibilities are endless. DO NOT put this in the microwave. It'll foam up and explode and the mess will be huge. You're welcome. 🙂
- Coconut Milk: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-coconut-milk-for-skin-hair-and-health/
- Cinnamon: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-surprising-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html
- Nutmeg: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/7-health-benefits-nutmeg-provides.html
- Vanilla Extract: http://kathrynvercillo.hubpages.com/hub/5-Health-Benefits-of-Vanilla-Extract
- Molasses: http://www.livestrong.com/article/506766-the-healthy-benefits-of-molasses/ and
- Grass-fed Gelatin: http://www.savorylotus.com/2013/05/22/gelatin-do-you-know-this-superfood/
- Raw Milk: http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_milk_health_benefits.html
- Raw Cream: http://nourishedkitchen.com/fresh-cream/
- Coconut Oil: http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/
- Maple Syrup:
- Sea Salt: http://www.agribestfeeds.com/products/redmond-natural/
This totally delicious, and helped me sleep. But am concerned about the calories! Do you know the calorie count? Thanks for posting!
No Ma’am. I like a little healthy fat before bed as it nourishes and feeds my brain and my cells so that they have the energy and food to work at repairing my body while I sleep. Also, I don’t know which brands you are using, so you’d have to use the labels on the brands you are using and figure out serving sizes and calories based on those brands/ingredients. 🙂
Hello! I have the red can of gelatin — that should work I hope ??
I bought and have yet to open it … reading up on ways to incorporate it into a lot of different foods so I get it daily.
The red can won’t dissolve in cold liquid, and it will actually gel the beverage slightly. It’s a bit more powerful than the stuff in the green can. 🙂
But where can I find that cow mug? My daughter would have a total fit over it!
Donna, I am almost certain that I got the cow mug at Pier One Imports. Like 99% certain. 🙂
This stuff works great. I usually take some melatonin a few hours before bed and this about an hour before and it’s been working wonders in helping me go to sleep. Also I have never heard of Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder before stumbling on your blog.
I’ve been on high dose sleep meds for about 10 years, being treated as having insomnia when I don’t think that was my problem at all.
Thanks for posting
Thanks for commenting, Kathy. 🙂 I’m so sorry you deal with insomnia. It’s not fun at all. I’m so glad this works for you, too. This drink has been a life saver for me as have my essential oils! I use a couple of blends on my feet and in my diffuser and I’m out like a light! 🙂 I’m glad that I was able to introduce you to delayed sleep phase disorder, too! Lots of info on that online. 🙂
I’ve struggled with sleep for many years because of anxiety disorder. My psychiatrist told me that your brain needs some carbs in order to allow you to fall asleep. Otherwise it will just keep running all night. This feeds it well so you can fall asleep and stay asleep. The advice by many diet gurus of not eating anything after 5 or 6 oclock is just setting people up for insomnia. Our brains need a little food in order to calm down to sleep.
This is awe inspiring. I want to make it for my boyfriend who struggles with sleeping but I have one question; can I forgo the cream? I have all the other ingredients but I’m not so sure my farmer makes cream. What do you think?
Thank you much!
Real Food Girl
Yes. You don’t have to use the cream. I love cream and it adds such a buttery richness to the drink, but it isn’t necessary. Just increase the amount of milk by that much to make up for no cream.
Whoah! I made this last nite with fresh milk from the farm and added cloves. We slept like stoners. Seriously… This stuff works.
Real Food Girl
Colee- you have officially won the “Best compliment left on my blog” award! Even The Stud Muffin laughed at that!! I’m super glad that you guys know the power of Liquid Lullaby!! 🙂
The truth is the truth!
Real Food Girl
You would be surprised at how many people who follow my blog still don’t know the why’s behind my mentioning to not use Mrs. Butterworths! 🙂
I just finished making another large batch of this so I’m set for the week!
I know you’ll enjoy this!
Sounds like a winner! You can always make an alcoholic version and call IT Pillow Potion…
This sounds divine! I chuckled at the, “not Mrs. Butterworths folks” add-in. lol I would hope that anyone on your blog is well aware of the pure garbage of that stuff 😉 Definitely trying this! I too find myself staying up way too late, then I sit there and count the few hours I have before my alarm is gonna bother me to get up n at em to start another day and I just cringe knowing I’m gonna just hate my alarm and end up hitting snooze too many times in the a.m. Love that this includes beneficial ingredients my body will thank me for too!