I suffer from insomnia- I have since as long as I can remember.
Many a night I will be awake until 4:00 am, 5:00 am, 6:00 am, sometimes even 7:00 am. It’s maddening. And so that I don’t waste my entire day, I force myself to get up after only about 5 hours of fitful sleep which just compounds my fatigue and sleepiness, making it beyond difficult to fall asleep the following evening. It’s a vicious cycle.
I’ve been on Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy going on 18 months and it has helped to a large degree, but if I don’t have enough to keep me busy during the week, I find myself laying awake at night mentally shooting the sheep that are failing at helping me fall asleep. The insomnia, DSPD and hormone issues had me searching the interwebs for something wholesome and real food based that I could eat or drink before bed on a regular basis. Enter ‘Nighttime Sleep Tonics’.
You are going to love Liquid Lullaby. It is creamy, rich, soothing and comforting. It’s like a hug in a mug. The maple syrup and molasses give this drink a slight caramel-like flavor. The spices add warmth and complexity. It’s like drinking liquid contentedness.
It’s hard to stop at just one mug because it’s SO good!! The Stud Muffin said that he knew it probably wasn’t supposed to taste good because it was healthy and good for him, but it did. He was a little irked with himself for liking it so much. Then I told him what was in it, and that it WAS supposed to taste good. Silly Stud Muffin! Even my grand kids love this! UPDATE- I have one reader who said her whole family clonked out like “stoners” after drinking this before bed! So if you want to sleep like a stoner, this is the drink for you! How’s that for a festive endorsement of Liquid Lullaby? That made me laugh- I love comments like that!
I love turning to you Food Hippies on Facebook to ask for help on what to name recipes. Sometimes I just get stuck and can’t come up with anything creative. Originally I was just going to call it a Yawn Tonic–but decided to get your thoughts on the subject and you guys came up with some really fantastic ideas! After writing down all the suggestions you guys shared, I showed them to The Stud Muffin while we enjoyed a mug of this sleep tonic. We both agreed that Liquid Lullaby was our favorite, with No Motion Potion, a very close second.
Below are just a few of the many benefits of each ingredient in the Liquid Lullaby Sleep Tonic. There were almost too many to list and narrowing it down to a handful a piece was difficult. There are other great spices you could add to this if you’re in the mood to play around with the flavor a bit. I think I’m going to try some tumeric in my next batch or maybe some organic Almond Extract, which contains many vitamins, minerals and protein.
Benefits of the Ingredients in Liquid Lullaby
- Raw Milk- Contains the perfect balance of macro-nutrients: carbohydrates, fats and protein as well as 8 essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals that come naturally–not synthetically like pasteurized milk.
- Raw Whole Cream- Contains beneficial bacteria and enzymes. These enzymes aid in digestion of macronutrients while the beneficial bacteria promotes intestinal health and a well-functioning immune system, not to mention all the vitamins and minerals, like calcium, which promote sleep among other things.
- Coconut Milk- Very high in magnesium, which is known to calm nerves, and maintain healthy blood pressure. It can help fight infections, and maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
- Sea Salt/Mineral Salt– Aids in digestion, promotes sleep, cures acne, and is rich in vital minerals such as calcium, magnesium, sulfur and potassium.
- Pure Maple Syrup- Contains antioxidants and boosts your immune system, is a good source of zinc helps lower LDL cholesterol and is a wonderful from nature sweetener.
- Coconut Oil-Increases your metabolism, has antiseptic qualities and is a natural appetite suppressant.
- Vanilla- Reduces stress and anxiety, aids in weight loss, heals wounds and regulates female hormones
- Cinnamon- Reduces pain, regulates blood sugar and contains fiber, calcium, iron, and manganese
- Nutmeg- Helps eliminate fatigue and stress, it is a natural sedative, detoxes the liver and kidneys and reduces inflammation in the body.
- Blackstrap Molasses- A superfood that contains many important minerals and nutrients such as manganese, copper, iron and calcium and potassium. It is also offers protection from cancer, provides antioxidant protection, is good for proper bone, heart and colon health as well as is a good source of iron.
- Grass-fed collagen hydrolysate gelatin-Gelatin contains half of the 18 essential amino acids necessary for survival. Among other amazing benefits it is also known to improve quality of sleep.
- 4 cups grass-fed raw milk (non-homogenized organic cream top milk would work, too)
- 1/4 cup organic grass-fed cream
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk (not light)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (NOT Mrs. Butterworth folks)
- 3 TB organic blackstrap molasses (or regular organic molasses)
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 tsp. coconut oil (organic)
- 5 TB grass-fed collagen hydrolysate gelatin**
- Rounded 1/4 tsp. Real Sea Salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (I freshly grated mine) Use more if desired
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Put all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and stir to combine. Heat over medium-low heat until milk is warmed.
- If you prefer your milk on the hot side, you may continue warming the milk until tiny bubbles form around the inside of the pan. This is known as scalding the milk. Make sure you remove the milk from the pan immediately upon seeing those bubbles appear.
- Pour into a heatproof glass container that can be sealed. This will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Shake well before warming subsequent mugs of this tonic.
- Feel free to experiment with flavors. Try adding a pinch of clove or allspice. Maybe some tumeric or almond extract. The possibilities are endless. DO NOT put this in the microwave. It'll foam up and explode and the mess will be huge. You're welcome. 🙂
- Coconut Milk: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-coconut-milk-for-skin-hair-and-health/
- Cinnamon: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-surprising-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html
- Nutmeg: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/7-health-benefits-nutmeg-provides.html
- Vanilla Extract: http://kathrynvercillo.hubpages.com/hub/5-Health-Benefits-of-Vanilla-Extract
- Molasses: http://www.livestrong.com/article/506766-the-healthy-benefits-of-molasses/ and
- Grass-fed Gelatin: http://www.savorylotus.com/2013/05/22/gelatin-do-you-know-this-superfood/
- Raw Milk: http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_milk_health_benefits.html
- Raw Cream: http://nourishedkitchen.com/fresh-cream/
- Coconut Oil: http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/
- Maple Syrup:
- Sea Salt: http://www.agribestfeeds.com/products/redmond-natural/